Cycling Benefits for Weight Loss
Cycling has many weight loss benefits as well as being great fun. Cycling is challenging, it’s very sociable and it really is a terrific workout. Cycling is great for everybody regardless of age or fitness levels. It will help you to lose weight due to its calorie burning properties, improve your overall health and gets you out in the fresh air too. What more could you ask for?
Busy roads are a big problem for many cyclists but fortunately there are an increasing number of cycle lanes and paths being incorporated in many towns and cities ensuring a safe, car free cycle ride. Cycling really can help you to achieve your weight loss goals in a fun and enjoyable way.
The Benefits of Cycling for Weight Loss
- The increased heart rate will help you to burn calories and lose fat ensuring that you are one step closer to your weight loss target.
- Cycling is cheap and environmentally friendly; you can burn calories and lose weight whilst staying positively green. As far as transportation goes cycling is the most environmentally friendly option you have – and it can also save you lots of money. Cycling is free.
- Cycling can help you to lose weight whilst helping to improve your general, overall health.
- Cycling exercises all of the major muscle groups of the legs including the calves, glutei, hamstrings and quadriceps ensuring all round physical fitness with extra endurance and strength.
- People who are unable to take part in high impact sports like running can enjoy the low impact sport of cycling. The cycle takes the body weight and pedal power doesn’t put any pressure on the leg joints at all.
- Cycling is easy, and once you’ve learned to ride a bike you’ll never forget. Some people can be put off sports with complicated moves or rules but everybody can learn how to ride a bicycle.
- The number of calories burned whilst cycling really depends upon the weight of the cyclists and how much effort they put into their ride. A half hour cycle ride can burn anywhere between 100 and 650 calories depending upon those things. Obviously cycling up a steep incline will burn many more calories than a gentle cycle ride along a level path but every little does help towards your weight loss goals.
- Cycling can also help you to get fitter for other exercise activities. People who cycle for half an hour a couple of times per week will also feel the benefit when they take part in other types of aerobic activity.
You do need to remember a few safety procedures before taking your bicycle out for a spin in the sunshine;
- Your bike must have regularly maintenance to ensure that it is safe to use
- You should always remember to carry a few spares in case of emergency – a spare inner tube and tool kit should suffice
- Wear bright clothing which can be easily seen by other motorists and road users
- Don’t forget to wear a safety helmet
Cycling can help you to change weight, change shape and change your life – enjoy!